Chicken has been feeling so boring and played out to me lately, so I thought I would try something new and different. I have had my Gramma's Chicken Piccata recipe for years, and thought I should give it a whirl.
I love that I have a recipe or two that my Gramma Gilbert wrote for me. It makes it special to see her handwriting and know I am making a recipe that she loved too. She was such an amazing cook, and while she doesn't cook anymore, I still have some favorite dishes that she has taught us how to make. One of my favorites was her chokecherry jelly. You can check out our attempt at jelly here.
I made just a few changes to this recipe.
Enjoy~
Ingredients
1 to 1 and a half pounds of chicken breasts
Flour-enough for coating the chicken
3 TBS of butter
Juice of 1 lemon
2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
1 small jar of Capers- the amount you use can vary based on how much you LOVE capers. if you are like me you will use 3 big spoonfuls
salt and pepper
salt and pepper
Start by pounding chicken to a uniform thickness of about 1 inch thick. Salt and Pepper the chicken to your liking and then coat both sides with flour. Melt butter in the skillet on medium/high heat and then brown chicken.
Remove the chicken from the skillet and add lemon juice and chicken broth to the skillet. Boil down to about half a cup. I didn't measure this, but rather judged the amount based on the thickness of the broth.
Place chicken back in the skillet with the capers and cook another 3 to 5 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
I chose to make a very basic pasta to serve on the side- whole wheat penne, olive oil, basil and parm. The light flavor blended perfectly with the Chicken Piccata.
xo,
Kara
Let's just make this tonight :>) YUM!!!!
ReplyDeleteThere are no better dishes than ones from family. Happy Saturday!!
ReplyDeleteI'm always looking for new ways to make chicken and this looks really good. I love that you have grandma's recipe in her writing. You will treasure it always.
ReplyDelete