Tuesday, October 5, 2010

ChokeCherry Jelly

My Gramma Gilbert (Mom's mom) has been making her famous ChokeCherry jelly for years.  This year my mom and I took the task on, only hoping to get close to the yum factor that my gramma achieves every year. Of course, I won't be able to share the "secret" recipe but let me just say-the work it takes to make the jelly far outweighs the ingredients in the jelly :o)

Chokecherries pre boil

Boiling the berries to get them ready for the juicing 

Gramma's old juicing contraption-and Dante helping out in the background :)

Mash those berries down to their last drop!

Hard work ;)

I think this is when my arm started getting tired!

Just a little longer.....

Juice! You would not believe how much jelly this makes!
So sadly, I didn't have a third person to help us take pictures of the actual juice to jelly process.  My mom and I were both needed in the kitchen to get the jelly into the jars as fast as possible, so that the jars could seal up and we wouldn't need to do parafin coating.  But as you can see it was a success!! You invert the jars for about 5-7 minutes to help them seal and then voila-Jelly!! I am still working on the label for the lids and as soon as I am done I will post a pic of the finished project.
Setting the seal

ChokeCherry Jelly-Gramma Gilbert style :)
Some of you will be getting a jar of this delicious jelly very soon.  xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I love this post!

    It made me miss home so much....Just seeing itall....you and mom are amazing! Can't wait to see the finished jellies...I'm getting 10 right?!

    Are you creating labels for them~!??!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am creating labels for them :) I will send you a pic of what I am thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope I make the list of jelly receivers...although if I don't, I'll settle for a bite of it in November!!!

    ReplyDelete