So one of my many New Year/ New Me resolutions is to be more organized and more creative with my weeknight dinners. Towards the end of 2010 I felt I was either too busy, or too lazy (I suppose), to make dinner. I was always scrambling to throw something together after work, or picking up takeout. And let's be honest, takeout isn't good for the waistline or the wallet. So this year my goal is to plan my meals ahead of time, get all of our groceries the weekend before so that my husband and I are guaranteed to have healthy, tasty meals Monday through Thursday. Oh and the best part of this plan happens to be that most meals I make serve four, so everyday we have lunch the next day too-not much easier than that!
So far I am 3 for 3 this week on healthy dinner at home and everything I have made has turned out great. And what is even more fun is that the first three recipes this week came from a fun, informative, healthy living blog that I follow. You can check out her wonderful blog at Iowa Girl Eats. She always has delicious recipes and fun workouts to experiment with. Thank you Kristin at Iowa Girl Eats!
My menu this week looks like this:
Monday- Proscuitto Wrapped Stuffed Chicken with some healthy veggies on the side- Ahhmazing!
Tuesday- Chili Verde with low fat corn bread- SO good
Wednesday- BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, with my mom's healthy coleslaw and vegetarian baked beans. *see note below*
Thursday: Body For Life's Shrimp Scampi
*I will say that I wasn't sold on tonight's meal for many reasons:
A. I have only used my crockpot once and the first time did not go so well.
B. I don't love BBQ, but the husband does, so sometimes you have to sacrifice.
C. I have this really strange obsession with undercooked meat-and by obsession I mean I tend to overcook EVERYTHING-not a good quality. It is very difficult to judge the "doneness" of your slow cooked pork, my friends. I only made Jason look at practically every piece of pork I shredded- "does this look done babe?" He was actually on our elliptical at one point when I brought a plate of pork over for him to double check the doneness. Oops. In fact, maybe this needs to be another one of my resolutions-stop FREAKING out about undercooked meat. Yeah, probably not going to happen, but a girl can dream. Enough about undercooked meat. Jeez, you would think I was obsessed or something. :)
Surprisingly tonight's meal was really good. More importantly, Jason LOVED it. Oh and I think it was cooked-guess we will find out tomorrow if I have to call in sick to work ;)
Tomorrow night's meal is going to have to be pushed to Friday, because we are heading to the Colorado Avalanche game! It's our first game of 2011-I can't wait.
Hope you all are having a fabulous start to this beautiful new year, I know we are. I am off to watch a Webinar~until next time friends. xo
I love your new background!!!!!!!!!!! And these look delicious - I want the proscuitto chicken recipe@!!!! I found a new stuffed red pepper recipe - with quinoa and other vegies - I'll let you know!
ReplyDeletexoxo
nice people. nice!
ReplyDeleteMenu planning has changed my life!! It makes me a better cook when things are planned. I love that you are doing it. Don't fear meat!! hehe. Happy Thursday.
ReplyDelete