Thursday, July 5, 2012

Independence Day Strawberries

Hope you all had wonderful 4th of July celebrations with your family and friends.  I have always loved the 4th of July.  It signifies the heart of summertime. Long days and hot summer nights.  
BBQ's and beer. 
Can't get more Americana than that!

 Typically we spend the 4th with my family at the Lake in Minnesota, but this year our schedules were crazy, and sadly, we couldn't find a way to make it work. For some reason I just couldn't get excited for the day this year.  I think the fact that the holiday was on a Wednesday made it a little different too.  And of course the entire state of Colorado is on a much needed fire ban, so almost every city cancelled their fireworks.  I was bummed. Surprisingly my day turned out much better than I thought it would!

The husband and I decided to stay in Denver for the day and just enjoy a mid-week break :) He played golf and I went to the pool with a friend and enjoyed catching up with her. After the afternoon I spent  lounging, I picked Jason up from the golf course and we went over to his mom's for a BBQ.  

She asked us not to bring anything, but that never works for me. So I decided to make the patriotic strawberries I saw floating around Pinterest last week.  They were a big hit! Truly you could make these for any holiday.  Super easy and super tasty!

4th of July Strawberries

ingredients:

~Strawberries
~White chocolate-I used ghirardelli's
~Blue Sugar Sprinkles


First Step:
Rinse and fully dry strawberries


While they are drying, break white chocolate up into small chunks to melt.

 Use a double boiler (I don't have one, so I use the old trusty smaller pot, inside a bigger pot method) and melt chocolate


Once chocolate has melted begin dipping strawberries in the chocolate


After you have dipped said strawberry in chocolate, dip in the pretty blue sugar.  

This part was probably the most difficult for me.  I wanted them all to be uniform, and I just couldn't quite get that right. The more I made the better they got.  I found that if you rolled the strawberries in the sugar, it worked a bit better than just dipping it right in.  I will have to perfect my technique for the next holiday gathering.  


I thought they turned out pretty darn cute. :) 

 Such an easy dessert for any BBQ!

Now go make your own! :-)

Happy Summer from me and my love. 


xo,

Kara


5 comments:

  1. These are adorable and look delicious! I just became a follower on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun!!! And they are so gorgeous! amahhhhzing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM GREAT POST:) Im a strawberry addict.
    Your blog is so wonderful and Im following...I hope you follow me also:)

    If you want some cute swedish decor inspiration...check out my new post:)

    Have a great week.

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
    (sweden)

    ReplyDelete