Monday, January 31, 2011

Comfort Food

I came home early from work today because of this......


It was cold and icy, so I was glad to get home before the roads got too bad.

Because of the wintery weather I decided to make this....


Easy Chicken Noodle Soup~I used what was on hand at home tonight because I did not want to stop at the grocery on my way home.  Here is what went into the mix:

  • Egg Noodles (usually I use the Grandma's Egg Noodles-but I didn't have any in the freezer) 
  • 2 Shredded chicken breasts
  • Chopped Celery-I used 5 small stalks
  • Chopped Carrots-I used 3 full carrots
  • Chicken Bullion-sodium free
  • Low Sodium Chicken Broth
  • Salt, Pepper and a dash of Garlic Salt
  • 1/2 C of skim milk whisked with 1/4 C of Flour (to thicken)
I started by boiling my chicken breast in chicken broth and water.  I removed those when they were done and threw the egg noodles in for a quick boil themselves.  I then added celery, carrots and seasonings. I let that cook down for a bit while I shred the chicken.  Throw the chicken into the pot along with milk/flour mixture and just let everything simmer for a bit.  I think the longer it simmers the better it tastes!  You can add more liquid if you want a more soupy soup :) I also made quick and easy biscuits tonight and served those with the soup for a little delicious dipping.  Easy Monday night meal!


Now it's off to fold laundry, and watch the last 45 minutes of the Bachelor.  It's so strange, I have never watched The Bachelor before this season and now, somehow,  I find myself hooked.  That darn Reality TV! 

2 comments:

  1. uhhhh yeah....the bachelor will suck you in every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMM...MMMM....Good! Just like Campbells! I am just scared of making soup in general, it just looks hard. But, this looked easy!!

    ReplyDelete