I was so excited when I was perusing Centsational Girl earlier in the week, and found that there is a Pinterest Summer Challenge link party today.
It motivated me to finally tackle a Pinterest project that I had been too scared to try. Since moving into our house I have become much more adventurous in the crafting department, but you would never mistake me for Martha Stewart :)
This project seemed fairly elementary, and one I could possibly complete without some sort of disaster lurking in the wings, just waiting to ruin my big plans. I am in the process of sprucing up our laundry room on the cheap and figured these faux letters would be the perfect addition. And if I totally screwed them up.....no biggie!
Here are the Pinterest finds that inspired me to link up!
I used these instructions to create my Metal Letters, but also drew inspiration from this picture as well.
For a novice crafter this Pinterest project was perfect for me! I went to our local crafting store (which use to be my personal hell, surprisingly now I kinda LOVE it), and picked up my supplies:
Cardboard Letters, Folk Art Black Acrylic Paint and Folk Art Pearl Metallic paint
I actually had paint brushes at home, shocking to those who know me. I was a little nervous picking out the paint, because I was afraid I was purchasing the wrong ones, but turns out I made good choices.
Step One:
Paint all letters in black paint-let dry completely
Step two:
Using the Folk Art Pearl paint, use long strokes and paint over the black. It instantly gives you the metal letter look we all love.
Once the letters have dried, hang wherever your heart desires.
This room is a total work in progress, but I wanted to share the finished product hung up on the wall. This may not be their final resting place, but here you go!
Pinterest project complete! Gonna have to decide which crafty, DIY project I want to try next :)
xo,
Kara
sharing with:
bower power









I love how these came out - what a great idea!
ReplyDeleteThank you Ginny! They were super easy :)
DeleteOh my goodness why are you such a blogging genius now?!?!?!?! I LOVE IT!
ReplyDeleteThis might be my next project- your letters look fantastic!
ReplyDeleteI love this! I will definitely attempt this project in the near future!
ReplyDeleteLove this!!! So cute in your laundry room!!
ReplyDeleteHow did you hang the letter?
ReplyDeleteHi Andrea! I used an adhesive putty from Hobby Lobby. Can't find the exact one on line but this is what it looked like :) http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/scotch-adhesive-putty-removable-664102/
Deleteso cute and seems easy! totally going to have to try this! thx for the inspiration. you can check out my pinterst challenge project at www.izoriginals.blogspot.com Super easy too - DIY ceramic customized mugs!
ReplyDeleteWow, that really does look like metal. Awesome job!
ReplyDelete~em @ small girl, big world
I thought they were real metal. Great job and no cuts from trying to get a "W" out of tin!
ReplyDeleteThey turned out great! And they really do look like metal!
ReplyDeleteWell look at you! You little crafter, you! :-) I love this!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, these are so adorable! I saw some JUST like these at Anthro the other day for $18.99 a letter! I think I will definitely be trying out your craft :)
ReplyDelete