Thursday, May 19, 2011

Positively Perfect Pasta

So nothing has changed weather wise since yesterday.  Still cloudy, rainy, dreary and the temperature is in the 40's.  Just in case you were wondering..... it's ok, I know you were spending much of your day thinking about our weather ;).   Anyway, I decided to take advantage of the cooler temps and make an easy, healthy, delicious pasta dinner.  This dish is perfect for a week night because it takes thirty minutes or less to get from the beginning stages to my table, where the hungry husband is awaiting my masterpiece-ha!

Ingredients
Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Chicken Sausage (any and all types of sausage work for this one-my grocery store had a special this week!)
2 TBS of Olive Oil
2 cloves of Garlic-chopped
1 small Shallot-chopped
1 can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes with liquid
1 jar of Artichoke Hearts-drained
1 handful of Sundried Tomatoes
1/4 to 1/2 Cup of White Wine (pinot gris was tonight's open bottle) 
 Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
Pinch of Salt 
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
1/2 box of Whole Wheat Pasta-any shape will do (I had rotini on hand)

1. Heat olive oil in pan over medium-high heat (start water for pasta at this step as well)
2. Saute garlic and shallots until tender
3. Add sliced chicken sausage to skillet (it's already cooked so this step is just to warm it up)
4. Add tomatoes, artichoke hearts, white wine, red pepper flakes and salt-bring to a slight boil then turn heat down to simmer. 
5. While mixture is simmering put pasta in to boil- I am a firm believer in al dente pasta. I always boil the least amount of time they suggest.  There is nothing worse that mushy over cooked pasta.  This is ingrained in my brain from many family weekends spent making our sunday gravy.  DON'T over cook your pasta!
6. Drain pasta noodles, spoon your "sauce" over your pasta and sprinkle with a little parm. 




This dish is so good you would think it was bad for you.  Just a little side note- I really just kind of eyeball most of the ingredients.  You can easily adjust amounts and what sausage/veggies you add.  I think next time I will be adding basil for a little more depth.  Enjoy~


xo,

The girl floating away in rainy Colorado

Oh P.S- My sister Kate introduced me to Pinterest.  If you don't know what it is, you are missing out.  Bigtime.  I. Am. Obsessed. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment